Does your dog love to travel with you? You and your family wear seat belts when riding in the car. Does your pet? If you have not considered it, here are seven important reasons why your dog should wear a pet car harness:
Several Reasons to Keep Your Dog Secure in the Car
1. DISTRACTIONS - Your pet won’t be able to distract the person driving. Distractions can be very dangerous to the driver. Some dogs are naturally well-behaved in the vehicle but many have to be trained car-riding decorum. Why not train them in the dog seat belt instead?
2. SLAMMING ON BRAKES - Sudden unexpected stops won’t cause your pet to fly forward into the dash, the back seat, or onto the floor. Dog’s noses are very sensitive. Hitting their nose on the dash or back of the seat can be a very painful experience. Getthing thrown onto the floor can break limbs.
Sudden Stops Will Keep Your Dog in the Seat
3. ROAD DEBRIS - Your pet won’t be able to put his head out the window. Did you know that even a tiny spec of flying debris can do serious damage to your furry friend's eye or nose? Many dogs love to put their heads out the window, but it can be an equally pleasant experience if he is sitting in a pet car harness by an open window where he can still get a whiff of the multiple odors zipping by.
4. KEEP INSIDE - Not only will your pet not be able to put his head out the window, he won’t be able to get his body out either. Dogs are instinctive creatures and if something catches their attention, such as another animal, they may go after it without a thought. Perhaps your furry pal is too smart to do this, but why take the chance? Incidentally, a sudden stop or swerve won't send your secured pal flying out an open window either.
5. STAY FOR EMERGENCY HELP - Many dogs will run or even bite if frightened. What if you and your dog happen to be in an auto accident? Your furry best friend is going to be terrified. If there is a means of escape, he may try to get out and run. And where is he most likely to run? It would be a terrible thing to survive an auto accident only to get struck by another vehicle. Even if there is no way for him to escape, he may need medical attention. An injured dog may react defensively by tying to bite someone who is actually trying to help. A pet that is already restrained however, is easier to muzzle and therefore, easier to attend to.
6. MORE COMFORTABLE - A canine seat belt can actually be quite comfortable once your four-legged friend gets used to it. Dogs can have a difficult time laying down in a seat because of the turning, speeding up, slowing down, and stopping movements of the car. Many dogs can brace themselves better if restrained. Most restraints will still allow him to stand, sit, or lie down comfortably and not have to worry about bracing themselves against car maneuvers.
7. RESPONSIBILITY - Last but not least, keeping your best friend shows you to be a responsible and caring pet owner as well as a responsible driver. Friends and strangers will be impressed with your thoughtfulness and foresight. They in turn, may consider getting one for their own dog. You can be indirectly responsible for saving another life.
As you can see, all seven reasons are excellent reasons for your pet to wear a pet auto safety belt. Any arguments against it are easily outweighed by the examples above. So do what is safe and what is best for you and your pal.
Show your furry pal he's family by
securing him with a seat belt harness.